A.I. Hijacked My Podcast!
Posted January 12, 2023
I just interviewed Martin Seligman.
He's the creator of the field of Positive Psychology. Positive psychology views the patient not as having a "mental illness" that needs to be fixed but as a human who would like to maximize his or her potential well-being.
The results, outlined in the books Learned Optimism, Authentic Happiness, and his new book, Tomorrowmind, have been a game changer for me.
I am an optimist in general, particularly on the state of the world. But often I slip into pessimism as regards my personal situation. His books and his PERMA outline of what well-being is have been very helpful to me so I was really grateful to have the chance to talk with him and, in my view, it was a great interview.
Or was it?
I asked ChatGPT what questions it would ask Martin. “
And...they were great.
And below are the AI's questions. I don't know which would've done a better job. Me or the AI?
What I Usually Ask
I tend to ask...
Questions that specifically help me.
Here I am talking to the pre-eminent psychologist in the field I feel provides the most value in clinical psychology. It's basically the foundation of modern cognitive behavioral therapy.
So I view the podcast interview with him (and his co-author, brain research Gabriella Kellerman) as a personal therapy session for me! Heck, when else would I get the chance?
So my questions in a round-about way are really about my own personal situations although it might not seem that way.
The AI questions are much more news-worthy.
Questions from the AI
If you're planning to interview Martin Seligman, a pioneer in the field of positive psychology, there are a number of interesting and relevant questions you could ask. Here are a few suggestions:
- Can you tell us about your work in developing the concept of "learned helplessness"?
- How does your work in positive psychology differ from traditional forms of psychology?
- Can you speak to the impact of your theory of "PERMA" on the field of psychology and in the public sphere?
More AI questions
- Can you discuss the relationship between positive psychology and mental health?
- Can you talk about your involvement in the field of character education and how it relates to your work in positive psychology?
- Can you discuss some of the criticisms of positive psychology and how you respond to them?
Even More AI questions
- How do you see positive psychology evolving in the future?
- Can you speak to your recent works on Flourish and how it expands on the concept of well-being and happiness.
What do you think?
Is AI going to steal my job?